Church History

Cheam Methodist Church was opened on 11th January 1935 as the Wesley Hall with the Rev Harold Walter as its first minister. It was registered for marriages in 1954 and in 1974 the Community Hall was built. Our church is in the heart of a suburban housing estate, made up of semi-detached and terraced house and known locally as Church Farm estate after St Dunstans Church in Cheam Village. Most of the area was originally open fields, apart from the brickworks, the chimney of which stood where the playing field of Cheam High School is now located.

Records show that between 1926 and 1931 the number of streets and the population of Cheam doubled as people moved into the area from inner London. The land on which the estate was built was sold in 1927 by Sir Edward Northy to Joseph Owen of Mitcham for development. Our church corner site was originally scheduled for housing, but to cater for the spiritual needs of the expanding population, it was subsequently designated for religious use. Up to its sale, the site provided accommodation for the estate's builders huts and mess rooms. On 28th July 1934, the conveyance of the plot was signed between Joseph Owen and D D Bean and 23 other circuit trustees at a purchase price of £297.

Cheam is one of the Methodist Churches in the Sutton Circuit which cover the area including Wallington, Carshalton and Sutton to the north and Epsom, Great Tattenhams and Banstead to the south.

We are a worshipping community, part of the worldwide Christian Church, who believes that God created this world for mankind to inhabit and cherish. We believe in Jesus Christ who through His life, recorded in the Holy Bible, shows us the way to live in love and harmony and through his death and resurrection offers forgiveness of sins to all who trust in Him. Guidance and support are here today through his Holy Spirit.

Click on the picture below to download a copy of our Church History.